Friday, December 19, 2008

How it Started

I will be posting a couple of my email rants that have led to this blog getting started.

PS - I will be leaving for Haiti soon. Please keep our group in prayer.

This post is in reference to Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning:

I know, you see why I had to take that book in chunks. I felt like reading it straight through I would miss so much. It completely blew away my mindset on so many things. It is really so sad that we get so caught up in getting those “exercises” done and we forget the beauty and grace and love that is the whole point in the first place.

I think this happens everywhere. In football we get so caught up on the details and petty things when it is just about the fun and the competition and the joy of athletics. We see all the faults, the screw ups, the wins weren’t good enough to offset the pain of the losses. But the reality is that it is about so much more than that. It is about getting into the lives of these young men, molding them and just being with them, playing a game we love. There is nothing more fun than winning, but when we get caught up in the “exercises” we lose something.

We get upset about learning communities and the other “junk” of teaching and we forget why we do it in the first place. That we love kids and love to see that light come on. And the idea of learning communities and “junk” is to help increase those outcomes instead of just hoops to jump through. But at the same time wouldn’t it be the best and most refreshing learning community to foster discussion about why we teach and the joys of it and to sit and recharge our batteries through the joy and successes and hear the “experienced” teachers talk about why they have done it so long and what keeps them coming back. And for those who have lost their steam, to hear from the young wide-eyed newcomers the passion they are bringing in and maybe steal some of that passion. Now I know this would not go over well with everyone, but if the discussion were honest and POSITIVE, I think many would come out refreshed and invigorated, with a respect for each other and possibly more cooperative attitude instead of a combative attitude.

I feel like I have been dumping on your little email comments lately with these dissertations about things, but I have all of these thoughts and passions that boil up on these topics. And so much of it comes back down to honesty, openness, humility, and trust. In my opinion, that is where America has degraded to an unbelievable extent. We cannot look weak or imperfect, we have to have this face and front of greatness and perfection, (or as soon as we are shown imperfect, we start comparing to others we are “better” than, which breeds conflict and more disguising) when in fact we are all broken and hurt and scared and messed up people who hide in that darkness and we are killing ourselves in there. We are having more and more suicide, depression, cutting, sexual immorality from the darkness that we are sinking into, instead of this marvelous light we are created for.

I have become rather addicted to PostSecret and TWLOHA which are 2 organizations that foster openness and honesty and give people a safe place to get out of the darkness (even if only anonymously and only for a moment) and let that wonderful light into their situation. It breaks my heart to read some of the things on there, but it warms my heart that it is truth and the truth is setting people free. I can see God written all over those sites because HE IS THE TRUTH, and just speaking truth is bringing Him out.

I would love to see a leadership academy start for kids to learn leadership skills, but also to start to lead and think of ways we can affect the change locally so that it can the affect change globally.

I can’t believe that I am writing all of this to my boss, but I also can’t believe I have a boss I could write all of this to. But again, it comes down to honesty and openness, breaking down barriers and walls, and letting yourself be seen as who you really are. And this is me, for better or for worse.

Isaac Morford

PS – Sorry if I am breaking into your stillness with all of this racket. And I am praying you find that stillness and rest in the glorious light that is the God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment